Chester

Chester
Chester at 5:30 am on his 3 month birthday!

The Chester Diaries: Celebrating the feast and famine known as new motherhood.

Welcome to my blog! My name is Lara and I gave birth in April, 2010 to a baby boy. I've been calling him "Chester" since he was a little chestnut in my tummy. To commemorate his three month birthday, I wanted to write about the crazy, joyous and exhausting ride I've been having as a first-time mom. If you're interested in reading about the highs and lows of uncharted mommy territory as well as my unhealthy obsession with shopping, (particularly baby gear), reviews, and pop culture observations, then you've come to the right place. Be warned: This cute kid has a mommy who can be a bit of a potty mouth.

Note: This blog is no longer active but please enjoy Chester's journey from 3 months to 2+ years.


Thursday, August 12

An Ideal Man

Today was a super busy day for Chester and I.  My friend Cleo came to visit plus we had a photo session later that evening.  I was concerned about getting the house ready for the shoot not to mention having hair, makeup and wardrobe done!  Thankfully, the planets aligned and my notoriously high-maintenance son was the perfect little boy for the day.  He had a nap after his first feeding, allowing me to tidy the house, get my outfits picked out and do my hair.  He enjoyed his visit with Cleo and her beautiful daughter Layla as one would expect when showered with kisses and hugs.  Cleo found him especially delicious and mentioned eating him more than once.  ha!


Cleo wondered where this screaming baby I talk about all the time was.  He's always perfect for company, then throws an epic fit when we're alone  Sure enough, this photo was taken five minutes after they left. 


I'm getting better at reading Chester's cries.  At first I thought his diaper was bugging him but then I realized the little guy needed a nap.  I put him in his swing, added a pacifier and his favorite monkey blanket and he was out like a light.  That gave me time to get my makeup done.  Now here's the thing...I haven't actually worn a full face of makeup since my baby shower.  And before that, I can't even remember how long.  A year maybe?  The problem with this is twofold.  One:  I have a huge collection of makeup so just trying to figure out what to put on, let alone where I've squirreled it all away, created a huge cosmetic tornado that left my bedroom in shambles.  The second problem, which is much more serious, is that I'm completely out of practice when it comes to application and ended up looking like a ghoul.  Here's where things get stupid.  I applied my makeup for black and white photography, yet I didn't actually ask Leanna, our photographer, if she was doing any black and white. Duh.  The jury's still out as I haven't received any pics yet, but here are some photos Tim took after the shoot. 
Arrgh.  Unflattering, no?  Looks like I got punched in the eyes one too many times...And even my excuse about doing my makeup for black and white won't hold up as the pics look no better.  Ugh.


After realizing how terrible my makeup looked, I'm concerned how my photo shoot is going to turn out.  Leanna is a genius photographer, but she's no magician!  haha...In the meantime, I wiped a bit of makeup off and tried to salvage our own makeshift post-photo shoot shoot!
I wish Chester had been a little more happy taking part in our first professional shoot as I really wanted pictures of the two of us.  Tim hates taking pictures so I have almost none of him and I together.  I have zillions of Tim and Chester though, as I'm not shy about busting out the camera for a photo op!  Tim's response to my grumblings is always the same, "You're always naked and feeding him!"  True.  And I look like shit.

One of the shots I wanted Lee to recreate was a picture taken of me as a baby with my mom. Unfortunately Chester wouldn't stop crying so I don't think we were able to get this shot.  We tried after she left and after fifty takes, this is the best that we got.
He's actually crying in this picture but it looks like he's smiling.  haha...He did smile quite a few times but the delay on the flash made it impossible to catch.  So frustrating!  I can't wait to see Leanna's photos and share them of course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment