Chester

Chester
Chester at 5:30 am on his 3 month birthday!

The Chester Diaries: Celebrating the feast and famine known as new motherhood.

Welcome to my blog! My name is Lara and I gave birth in April, 2010 to a baby boy. I've been calling him "Chester" since he was a little chestnut in my tummy. To commemorate his three month birthday, I wanted to write about the crazy, joyous and exhausting ride I've been having as a first-time mom. If you're interested in reading about the highs and lows of uncharted mommy territory as well as my unhealthy obsession with shopping, (particularly baby gear), reviews, and pop culture observations, then you've come to the right place. Be warned: This cute kid has a mommy who can be a bit of a potty mouth.

Note: This blog is no longer active but please enjoy Chester's journey from 3 months to 2+ years.


Tuesday, March 22

Breakthrough!

Passed out on his face today in his crib.  Yay!


I've been trying to get Chester to fall asleep for naps in his crib during the day for many months now.  He's always kicked up such a big stink, leaving the both of us exhausted, I just gave up.  However, in the last few weeks, we decided we needed to revisit Chester's naptime.  With our impending move, Tim and I need to pack which means the current arrangement of Chester sleeping in the living room for hours while we tiptoe around in the bedrooms just doesn't work.  Two weekends ago we tried and the results were mixed.  On Saturday, (March 12th) he slept for almost 2 hours.  From 2 pm until almost 4!  The next day?  Well, not so good...He slept about 40 minutes.  From 2:50 until 3:30.  On Monday when we tried, he refused to nap at all and cried bitterly for about an hour.

After generally poor results, I gave it the week and resumed living room sleeping but tried again on the weekend.  Amazingly, both Saturday and Sunday he slept without any problem in his crib!  On Saturday from 1:30 until almost 4 and on Sunday from 1:50 until 4:15.  I still feel bad that we are reducing his naps to only one a day when he isn't even a toddler yet, but he does need to learn to sleep in his crib in the new house so it's good he's learning now.

The best thing of all?  He napped in his crib today without Tim being here!  I kept thinking Tim was the X factor and it was some karmic law that decreed it not possible for me to have any peace whatsoever.  Well today, I tried putting him in his crib on my own and he slept like a rock.  I put him in his crib at 1:04 - he screamed bloody murder for about, oh a minute, and then passed out on his face.  I actually had the run of the house to myself for the first time in...I can't remember!  He's started stirring at around 4:30 but is now sitting up in his crib while I type at 4:45.  Here's a pic of the little guy playing quietly right now.

3 1/2 hours later.  Awake without any drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment