Chester

Chester
Chester at 5:30 am on his 3 month birthday!

The Chester Diaries: Celebrating the feast and famine known as new motherhood.

Welcome to my blog! My name is Lara and I gave birth in April, 2010 to a baby boy. I've been calling him "Chester" since he was a little chestnut in my tummy. To commemorate his three month birthday, I wanted to write about the crazy, joyous and exhausting ride I've been having as a first-time mom. If you're interested in reading about the highs and lows of uncharted mommy territory as well as my unhealthy obsession with shopping, (particularly baby gear), reviews, and pop culture observations, then you've come to the right place. Be warned: This cute kid has a mommy who can be a bit of a potty mouth.

Note: This blog is no longer active but please enjoy Chester's journey from 3 months to 2+ years.


Thursday, November 11

We Remember


This morning before his first feeding, Chester was sitting on his daddy's lap and I showed him a picture of Tim's grandfather.  He was in the first wave that landed in France on D Day and was awarded the Military Cross for action in Normandy on June 28, 1944.  While my mother's ancestors were killed by the Japanese and my father's by the Germans, Tim's grandfather fought for the hard won freedom we enjoy today.  In 1976 he also had the honour of meeting The Queen who actually stopped to talk to him amongst the rows and rows of  assembled veterans.


Queen Elizabeth II at CFB Chatham on July 16, 1976.

He passed away one day after Tim's birthday in 2009 and is greatly missed by all who were fortunate enough to have known and loved him.  I only met Tim's grampy a few short years before he died but am the better for knowing him.  I didn't have too many opportunities to spend time with Len but I do remember him stealing me away for a tour of his retirement home one snowy day.  He showed me everything from the movie theater to his parking space in the garage.  Out of all the stops we made, the highlight was the library where he paused to show me a book about the residents and proceeded to give me the lowdown on every single "girl" in the building.  He cared about everyone.  We were gone so long that Tim was starting to wonder what happened to us.  Tim was also a little envious that he never received an extended tour.

I'm sad Chester never got the privilege of meeting his great grandfather but I've always felt that Len and his dear wife Edna have been watching over and taking good care of us.  I've also had the strange feeling they played a part in the miracle that is Chester.  Being a little older, and having endometriosis since I was in my early twenties, I didn't hold out much hope for being able to have a child.  I picture Len up there, charming the ladies and getting in the good graces of the Commander in Chief himself - maybe having a beer after an evening of great conversation, throwing an arm around his shoulder and asking for a wee favour for his dear grandson and his little lady.  We are greatly honoured to have him live on in our son.

No comments:

Post a Comment